[Help-smalltalk] Re: Compiling gst with mingw32

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Compiling gst with mingw32
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:42:37 -0500

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 16:23 -0300, Cesar Rabak wrote:
> However, after I interact with it a little if I put the focus in any
> other Windows application, gst returns to the operating system or
> saying in other terms: the commad prompt turns back to CMD (e.g.
> C:\>).
>
> Do you have seen anything similar to this? I'm not sure nor from where
> start to debug this!

Yes, Windows halts (but does not kill) all processes run under a command
prompt when they are out of focus.  Oddly, this doesn't apply to Cygwin,
which seems to handle it correctly somehow.  The place to start would be
to figure out what Windows does to stop cmd processes in this case and
fix the VM to ignore the signal (or something) on Windows.  But first I
would check the Cygwin version to make sure it doesn't happen there on
your system.

I learned about that the hard way when trying to run a long installation
process in a background cmd window. :)

--
;;; Stephen Compall ** http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog **
"Peta" is Greek for fifth; a petabyte is 10 to the fifth power, as