[Help-smalltalk] Re: Compiling gst with mingw32

From: Cesar Rabak
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Compiling gst with mingw32
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 02:10:10 -0300

2007/9/29, Stephen Compall <address@hidden>:
> On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 16:23 -0300, Cesar Rabak wrote:
> > However, after I interact with it a little if I put the focus in any
> > other Windows application, gst returns to the operating system or
> > saying in other terms: the commad prompt turns back to CMD (e.g.
> > C:\>).
> >
> > Do you have seen anything similar to this? I'm not sure nor from where
> > start to debug this!
>
> Yes, Windows halts (but does not kill) all processes run under a command
> prompt when they are out of focus.  Oddly, this doesn't apply to Cygwin,
> which seems to handle it correctly somehow.  The place to start would be
> to figure out what Windows does to stop cmd processes in this case and
> fix the VM to ignore the signal (or something) on Windows.  But first I
> would check the Cygwin version to make sure it doesn't happen there on
> your system.

I'll need to wait if some other person reading this list has built a
Cygwin version and has the same behaviour.

> I learned about that the hard way when trying to run a long installation
> process in a background cmd window. :)

I'm starting to understand why a lot of programs ported to Windows
have their own "shell" while in Linux they just have a toplevel in
command line...

gst seems to be usable for running scripts and even works integrated
with Emacs in Windows.

Thanks,

--
Cesar Rabak