Re: lyluatex collection for user without internet connection

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: lyluatex collection for user without internet connection
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 12:09:35 +0100

Hi Karlin,

thank you for your interest.

Am 25.01.19 um 11:56 schrieb Karlin High:
Urs, is your Scheme Book available as a PDF?

<https://scheme-book.ursliska.de/>

Unfortunately not.

I know it's incomplete, but I still consider it the best resource for learning Scheme in LilyPond. The website seems generated with GitBook, which appears capable of making PDF and ebooks.

<https://help.gitbook.com/books/how-can-i-provide-a-pdf-version-of-my-book.html>

That's basically correct.

That does look like it needs changes to project settings, though. I tried cloning or downloading the GitLab repository so I could do that myself, but the private GitLab instance appears to not allow that. The downloads save as empty files and git clone gave an HTTP error of some sort.

This is a configuration problem of the Gitlab instance on that particular server, for some reason (unknown to me) both downloading and cloning is only possible through SSH with a registered SSH key. I was basically interrupted in the middle of moving all my stuff to a new server and didn't really recover from that shakeup.

What I *can* do is move this repository to my new server where it should be possible to get the code - but ...

Comments? If this project wasn't intended for availability as a PDF, I'll just omit it from the collection I'm gathering.

... I would be happy to provide this resource as a PDF too, and yet, Gitbook allows to do that.

However, the "other" thing I got stuck with at some point is that I couldn't get Gitbook working anymore. The basic Gitbook process would still work, but I didn't manage to get my custom plugin to work that uses python-ly to produce the syntax highlighting. That shouldn't be rocket science, but I didn't have the time to familiarize myself more with the matter. (In addition this means that a number of fixes that I applied after people pointed me to them aren't available in the online version of the book).

In fact I would consider switching from Gitbook to another build system, for example based on Pandoc, maybe readthedocs.org would also be an alternative. The content is encoded as a bunch of Markdown files, with one "TOC" file organizing them to a hierarchy. The specific syntax for including stuff like code examples should easily be convertible with 'sed' or similar tools, so that should in fact be a viable solution - provided there's someone who'd be willing to help me with the transition.

Best
Urs