lout-users

Re: AFM files

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: AFM files
Date: 17 Jul 2001 11:15:15 +0200

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <address@hidden> writes:

> >However, even if your printer has an Adobe interpreter, the fonts
> >may come from a different source and/or may be customized.
>
>     I've considered extracting the AFM from my printer directly.

I don't know how this could be done.  Of course you can derive metrics
from Type 1 fonts, but an AFM file contains more information.

> >The printer *should* also ship with diskettes or a CD-ROM containing
> >the AFM files.
>
>     Since I use Linux I usually employ the shipped CD as decoration
> (normally these CD's only contain the windoze drivers). Anyway I'm
> pretty sure that the printer didn't come with AFM files. It's a
> Lexmark E312L (supposed to not have PS interpreter, but...)

I don't use Windows either, but font files are portable.  Now, if your
printer isn't even a PostScript printer, I'm not sure what you're
trying to achieve: For the purpose of printing via Ghostscript the
printer is just a dumb engine.

BTW, the printer CDs might also be interesting if they contain
TrueType fonts.

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <address@hidden>