Re: LYNX-DEV Bookmarks - a better idea (?)

From: Walter Skorski
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bookmarks - a better idea (?)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 14:24:46 -0500 (EST)

Filip M Gieszczykiewicz writes:

> > How's about for SINGLE_LINE_BOOKMARK_ADD mode (currently known as
> > "Advanced" mode), we have the bookmarks file parsed into one of those
> > circular buffers used by the line editor?  [...]
>
> The problem here is that it's right on the border of my C "abilities".
> I hate to say it but: feel free :-)

Well, if it's on the border of yours, it's probably way beyond mine...
But, if I get time to poke around the code, I will.

> I figure that work can continue on
> "The" way of doing it - which Fote will eventally approve (hopefully) -

As Fote has been trying to pound into our collective skull for the
past few months, he's not in a position to approve or disapprove of
anything.  He took on that role more or less by default, and now chose
to deliberately distance himself from the role - because he's tired of
it, and probably also because by doing so he's broadened the level of
participation in development.  I mean, the level of activity and
number of active participants have doubled, easily, since he started
his "vacation" - and that's a very good thing!

Just don't look to him as the one to sanction your mods for the next
official distribution.  In fact, don't expect anyone to do that for a
while yet; Rob Partington got anointed to next take on that role (by
default, again, much the way Foteos did), and he's still in the
process of getting acclimated to it.

> and I'll just keep on peddling my patches.

More power to you.  You keep on peddling; that's the way progress
happens here - each person building on the next guy's ideas.  I'm only
sorry that my contributions have come exclusively in the form of
suggestions, rather than actual code.

> Besides, it only took me a
> few days to memmorize the frequent bookmarks - I almost never look at
> the list... unless I want to put it in some category I can't remember.

Well, with a single level of classification, that's easy, but it'd get
more difficult with each level added.

> I figure that for my uses, what is there is just right. Let me re-
> state my objective: to be able to sort the bookmarks into more than a
> dozen categories AT THE TIME when I'm saving them.

A worthy objective.  I currently have about a hundred things in my
bookmark file - work related, personal, and in between - that I
haven't yet moved to the file I keep for classifying them.
Eliminating that step would be a boon to me as well, but the file I
keep is organized as nested <ul>s, sometimes three or four levels
deep, and it struck me that if I found that sort of heirarchcal
structure useful, others would, too.

> A few 400KB
> bookmark files made me realize this REAL QUICK :-|

Wait a minute, let me ask you - how can one accumulate that many
bookmarks *at 1200 baud*?  You must be browsing 'round the clock! ;-)

--
.    iksrokS retlaW<>Walter Skorski    ..        address@hidden         .
 Computer Administrator, Div. of Medical Genetics, Thomas Jefferson University

;