LYNX-DEV CGI redirection problems

From: John N. Underwood
Subject: LYNX-DEV CGI redirection problems
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:43:56 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

Warning: I'm new to this list :-)

I have a CGI program which makes use of redirection.
In versions of lynx prior to v2.6, this seemed to
behave as I expected. However, with v2.6, the behavior
has changed.

If a CGI with redirection is accessed via a link/href,
then lynx is sent to the specified URL just fine. But
when accessing the CGI via POST method, if lynx detects
redirection, it displays this message:

   WWW: Redirection for POST content. Proceed? (y/n)

If I say 'n', then lynx remains on the same web page.
Ok, fine. If I say 'y', lynx seems to try to post the
form data to the specified URL. However, in my CGI,
this URL is a normal web page, not something that can
accept POST data. I get this message (from lynx?)
   Alert!: HTTP/1.0 501 Not Implemented
followed by (from the web server?)
   POST to /~jnu/index.html not supported

Again, in older versions of lynx, there was no prompting
before proceeding with redirection; it just did it and it
did it successfully. I don't know which behavior is more
'proper' than the other, but I really liked the old one.
Perhaps some of the old behavior can be reverted? Maybe
always performing the redirection but just prompting for
reposting of the form data?

You can test this behavior at:

   http://www.intercenter.net/~jnu/cgi-src/test.html

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!