Re: LYNX-DEV Update patch for the v2.7 LYMainLoop.c

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update patch for the v2.7 LYMainLoop.c
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:20:45 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Ismael Cordeiro <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >
>  >That's the point! Since I first began using Lynx I changed the title in my
>  >bookmarks file to "Bookmarks" and it always worked until a certain point of
>  >Lynx2-6FM. Now I changed the title from "Bookmarks" to "Bookmarks file", how
>  >BOOKMARK_TITLE is defined in LYBookmark.h, and it works as supposed. If that
>  >behaviour of checking the bookmarks file by its title is kept in Lynx, users
>  >should be warned to never change the title of the bookmarks file.
>  >

>  Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>       I'm certain, Ismael, that if you took three deep breaths to
>  snap out of "whining to lynx-dev" mode, you could actually figure that
>  out yourself [...]
>
>Al Gilman opines...
>
>Attaching gotchas on the TITLE tag is a highly effective booby
>trap.  It's going to trap lots of users.  Ismael did us the
>courtesy of warning us of this.  Calling him a booby for doing
>this is not exactly appropriate.

        No Al, reread the thread again.  It was I who reviewed the
requirements for bookmark file recognition.  Also, do an Excite
search and find all the REPEATED explanations that the ONLY editing
of bookmark files supported by Lynx is deletion or rearrangement of
LI lines.  Any other editing, even if it appears to "work", should
not be considered a supported feature which will continue to "work"
in future versions.  No long-term participant of this list, such as
you and Ismael, should still be ignorant about that.

        And frankly, Al, whether you can understand this or not,
a psuedo-FAQ maintained by someone who still does not understand
that, and, after all this time and all the explanations posted here
and/or included in the documentation and online 'h'elp about how
Lynx works, still understands so little about how Lynx actually
works, has been one of the highly effective booby traps for new
Lynx users.

        Coming here for help and being barraged by noise and
misinformation is another highly effective booby trap.

        But don't worry Al.  Beyond making bug fixes for v2.7
available for the non-booby Lynx users, I'm done.  I formally
"stepped down" from the role of de-facto Coordinator of Lynx
Development last Sepementer.  Whether the person who accepted
that responsibility last September will finally start really
coordinating Lynx development, or at least address the issue
himself and perhaps pave the way for one of the other recent
volunteers to take a shot at it, remains to be seen.

                                Fote