Re: LYNX-DEV problem page

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem page
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 18:11:27 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 15:03:39 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
>  First, PLEASE state what version of the code exactly you are using
> when you share your observations with us.  Apparently it is not always
> the latest number of the development code, sometimes you seem to talk
> about fotemods, it gets confusing.

Sorry-- I believe it was ac-0.22(+my_patches), which at the time was the
latest release.
I haven't tried fotemods in some time since (as you know) I've been
applying my patches to the dev code.  (I don't have time or disk spaace
to do both.)
I figured that that + the reference to the old vs new parser (implying use
of the ^V command) would make it clear i was using the dev code.

> > Finally, this page, and other pages at this site, are sprinkled with
> > &#145; and &#146; strings.  Shouldn't these be translated into something
> > else?
>
> Yes, of course.  By the authors or authoring tools.
> Only they can know for sure what they mean.  Unless we want to pretend
> that all authoring is done with one and the same code page, Microsoft's
> CP 1252, and ignore not only that there are things beyond Microsoft
> platforms, but also that Windows uses different code pages in different
> parts of the worlds.  And then the next versions of those authoring
> tools come out which do things correctly anyway (and I believe there is
> hope for this).

Referring to a subsequent post on this thread, should lynx output these
unknown codes or ignore them like Netscape? or should the behavior be
configurable?

Since this page is obsolete and the problems aren't of interest any more,
I'll delete it.
--le

;
;