Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx/386 and problem with compressed files..

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx/386 and problem with compressed files..
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 20:50:53 -0500 (EST)

Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, 14 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >I am not entirely sure what to do here.  When a compressed file file is
>> >encountered (gzip, compress...), lynx makes a temp file with two
>> >extentions like Lxxxxxxx.txt.gz and then expects the resulting file to be
>> >Lxxxxxxx.txt.  I am not sure how to modify this for the 386 port which
>> >can't handle it.  Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
>>      Look at the for-VMS code, which already deals with that.  VMS
>> does not support multiple dot filenames (as in the devel code archive
>> names 8-), and thus substitutes dashes or underscores, and gunzip for
>> VMS in turn handles those as intended, to yield Lxxxxxx.txt on
>> uncompression.
>
>Sorry to be ignorant on this point, but apparently just renaming the files
>is not enough.  If I set it to .txt- instead of .txt. then the file is
>streamed as text instead of binary which is indicated by the early
>trunctication of the lynx tmp file.  It isn't obvious to me why this
>happens.
>
>Usually, if I was the enduser, I would write a wrapper for gzip. :-)
>Since this isn't the case I figured I would try to find an internal
>solution.  Remember we are talking about an 8.3 filesystem. *ugh!*

        I've never used gunzip on anything but VMS and Unix, but I
just looked at it's DOC file, and it says that for MSDOS/WIN/NT the
default suffix is 'z'.  So, where the for-VMS code is setting 'gz'
in HTFWriter.c, you want to make it 'z', and where it's making the
suffix .txt- or .html- or .bin- you want to make it .tx or .ht or
.bi, so it ends up 8.2z.  Then on uncompression, change the 8.tx or
8.ht or 8.bi to 8.txt or 8.htm or 8.bin, and pass it to lynx for
rendering, or to the helper app.  If the helper apps care about
suffixes, you also want to change the .bin appropriately before
passing it to them.   If 8 is too small for distinguishing both
the process and the tempfile count for that process, maybe you
could get more room by creating a directory tree instead of just
an 8.3 filename.  And then get rid of that tree as well as the
tempfiles as part of the cleanup on exit.

                                Fote