Re: LYNX-DEV addressing mail to your friends

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV addressing mail to your friends
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 07:51:14 +0100 (BST)

> them.  However, the TAB element is not a container (has no end tag).

It *was* the end tag I was commenting on, although my initial attempt
to exceed my brief and provide good Lynx formatting on dynamically
generated tables suggests that tab only works as an alternative if you
know the number of columns and their maximum widths at coding time,
and lines in table cells never need wrapping.

>       I'm not sure in what sense you are using "non-proprietary".
> The HTML 3.0 draft and the HTML i18n RFC are the last HTML specs based

I misdiagnosed plain as being a Netscape or Microsoft extension as it
wasn't in HTML 4.0 and 3.2.  I don't find 3.0 a useful reference given
that most pages are written to the empirical behaviour of Netscape and
Microsoft, which largely ignore this version of HTML.

> on fully public, archived discussions and consensus in chartered IETF
> working groups (in those cases, the HTML-WG).

If you believe there is still hope for evolution of HTML which is not
controlled by Netscape and Microsoft, I think you should be campaigning
against all attempts to make Lynx tolerate pages written for their
products, otherwise you are admitting that what happens on the real
web bares little relation to the standards set by IETF committees
(I think this is a bad thing, but was inevitable when the internet
lost its protection from the commercial world.)
;
;