Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX low level key mapping - Problems

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX low level key mapping - Problems
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:03:19 -0500 (EST)

> On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:41:25 -0500, address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)
> said:
> >Unfortunately, it appears that the current mechanism in lynx is to make
> >single byte codes to special functions.  I see no way to specify terminfo
> >variable names in the KEY_MAP variables of the lynx.cfg file.
>
> For slang, I would have it set up to read a key definition file, e.g.,
>
>    #KEYMAP-NAME KEY-SEQUENCE  FUNCTION-NAME
>      global       "^(ku)"     "move_to_previous_link"
>      global       "\e[A"      "move_to_previous_link"
>
> where ^(ku) indicates that the termcap `ku' string should be used.
> The last line specifies the standard ansi value for the up arrow
> escape sequence.  All other slang applications that I have written
> permit key redefinitions in this manner (MOST, JED, SLRN).
The strings are termcap/terminfo-level; the latter one is done in tparm (a
low-level routine of SVr4 curses); the former could be built up from the
existing tables in curses/terminfo (but preferably using terminfo names, of
course ;-).

However, SVr4 curses has a function (keyname) that uses more conventional
names for the keys that relate to the curses symbols.

But none of this is in BSD curses, of course, and porting back to VMS would
get a little complicated.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden