Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 11:04:10 -0500 (EST)

980304 Doug Kaufman wrote:
> I think that you probably need to verify the location of the lynx.cfg
> that is compiled into your executable file.

i didn't know how to do that, but yesterday JSS was offering help off-list
& suggested it, so i tried  strings lynx28 | grep lynx.cfg  & got:

lynx_cfg
/usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg
    -cfg=FILENAME    specifies a lynx.cfg file other than the default
lynx.cfg file not found as %s
# called lynx.cfg, and it has different content and a different format.
# to TRUE in lynx.cfg, or use the -nofrom command line switch.  You also
# honored only if enabled via userdefs.h and/or lynx.cfg, and not
an unlimited number of download methods using the lynx.cfg file.
   an unlimited number of upload methods using the lynx.cfg file.

[my reply to JSS yesterday] it does give the wrong  lynx.cfg ,
ie the one the sysadmin has set up for his (older) version of Lynx.
so WHY isn't  configure  or its  makefile  defining  lynx.cfg  correctly?
the  Makefile  which came with 2-7 didn't create this problem.

[JSS' reply to me] I just tried building Lynx with some different options
& had exactly the same problem you are having:
 lynx_cfg.h's  LYNX_CFG_FILE  define is getting overwritten somehow.
Something is wrong with the Lynx source, not  configure .
I can debug it more easily now.  Will report to LYNX-DEV when I fix it.

[me today] so i'll await further efforts to track down
why 2-8 is overwriting the definition of  LYNX_CFG_FILE  ...
(as i said, let's not underestimate the gremlins which may be lurking
inside  12 mths  work by a lot of good people).