Re: lynx-dev LYNX BugReport

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX BugReport
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:31:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, William Teagardin wrote:

> This is my third and last attempt to report an error in the LYNX code.

Don't give up so soon. Lynx is worth the effort. However, the first thing
you have to know is how to search for something in the Internet. If you
search in the wrong place for the wrong thing you won't get what you want.
The second thing you have to know is how to ask for help in a polite way.

> While merry-ily surfing along one sunny day I was atempting to research a
> film on the American Film Inst. site thru CineMedia. (See #1 below). I had
> no trouble getting to the site. I then clicked on the ENTER link (see #2
> below) and proceeded to the "HyperSearch" input ( see #3 below ) where I
> input the first title I was interested in. The result was three references
> to "radio" { the media } and had nothing to do with the film.

Cinemedia is not a movie database, it's a directory of links about TV,
movies, radio and other media. You got only the references Cinemedia had
about "talk radio", and there is no site in their database about the movies
"Talk Radio" and "Mad Man of Martinique". If you had searched for "oliver
stone" you would have got a link to one site about him and some of his
movies. If you want to search for movies, go to the Internet Movie Database:
http://us.imdb.com/search.html

> So ( see #4 I pushed "space" for the next page and input another title )
> (see #5 below). This resulted in the immediate error message and a rude
> bounce back to the LYNX main menu.

Rude?! Do you call rude an error message that says "Sorry, you have
encountered a bug in Lynx Ver. 2.3.7 BETA"?! I find the first line of your
message," This is my third and last attempt to report an error in the LYNX
code", ruder than the Lynx message.

> I sent off a BugReport to the address specified and received a very polite
> response.

Have you tried to contact the support of your ISP? They should be there for
that. Anyway, the most important information in your message is not in your
text but in the "rude" message: "Lynx Ver. 2.3.7 BETA". That was an old beta
version released in 11 December 1994, almost four years ago. It had several
bugs that were corrected in more recent versions. Ask your ISP to upgrade to
Lynx 2.8, the latest official version. You can find it at
http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden           |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.cam.org/~ismael/     |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |