Re: lynx-dev 4 suggestions

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 4 suggestions
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:37:34 -0400 (EDT)

980623 Axel Boldt wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the best browser!

more & more people seem to be discovering Lynx.

> many pages have a bunch of irrelevant links in the first lines.
> To go to the important links, one has to hit [Down] many times.

maybe you haven't discovered the short-cuts:
(1) numbered links, which not only allow  123  to goto link [123],
    but now give you  123g  to simply hilite link [123]
    &  123p  to goto the top of page 123 ;
(2) move up/down  2 lines  or  half-a-page :
     ( ) PageUp PageDown  on my terminal;
(3)  /  to search for a string,  n  to search again for the same string,
    & you can recall previous strings with  Up/DownArrow  & edit them.

> When filling out a text input box, the [Left] key is dangerous:
> it moves back over your entered text, but when you hit the beginning
> of the text box, it jumps to the previous pages.

this dates back before version 2-8 (the latest) & could now be changed:
 ^v  (or is it  ^V ?) asks for any Lynx command instead of entering text,
so you can do that followed by  LeftArrow  to leave the text field.

to lynx-devers: should  LeftArrow  at  column 1  in a text field
no longer exit the field, given the command  ^v ?
& should we add a summary somewhere of how to move around pages as above,
since new users may not realise how much Lynx can do?