Re: lynx-dev strange index display error

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev strange index display error
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:19:42 -0700

Larry W. Virden wrote:

> > My guess is that one of the ctype functions (isascii(), etc.) is
> > returning an unexpected value for '.'.  Compile and run this trivial
> > program, which tries all the ctype functions that Lynx uses:
>
> Compiling the test program on my SPARC Solaris 2.5.1 system where I am
> compiling lynx, I then run the software and get:
> $ ./tstctype
> isalnum('.') = 0
> isalpha('.') = 0
> isascii('.') = 1
> isdigit('.') = 0
> islower('.') = 0
> isprint('.') = 16
> isspace('.') = 0
> isupper('.') = 0
> isxdigit('.') = 0

Looks OK, so scratch that theory.

Nevertheless, something is making Lynx mishandle '.'.  All the display
corruption instances you've shown have appeared to be triggered by that
character being omitted, or being the first character of an omitted
sequence.

I think you're going to have to get into a debugger to really fix this.
And/or tweak the LYLineEdit code and related stuff, to print lots and
lots of commentary to the trace file.