Re: lynx-dev DOS port of bzip2

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev DOS port of bzip2
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 08:53:55 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, David Woolley wrote:

> I think people ought to be warned that there are native Win32 versions
> of bzip2, and although I've only used them on NT4, I assume they work
> on Win 95, but if you are running DOS because you don't have enough
> memory to run anything else, bzip2 will perform extremely badly because
> it has very poor locality of reference and very large virtual memoyr
> needs and will thrash badly.
>
> I think I might suggest making -s the default for a port aimed at DOS.

I am not sure what you mean by "locality of reference". Did you try the
program? I don't see more paging to disk than with many other programs
(I run a pentium 75 with 8 Meg of memory).  In general, I think it a bad
idea to change defaults, unless required by a system constraint.

This is starting to get off topic for lynx-dev.
                                  Doug

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)