lynx-dev Re: Mouse?

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Mouse?
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 02:47:46 -0800

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999, Philip Webb (address@hidden) said:

| > <tab>       NEXT_LINK     make the next link current
|
| well, i suppose one reason i subscribe is to learn things ...
| but it does raise the question why that keybinding is still there,
| given the Arrows, numbered links & VI-key choices:
| is it yet another ancient device from the creation of the World,
| never before questioned by anyone, or does it still have a purpose?

One nice thing about using TAB, is that when you're in a forms text
input area, a single TAB will take you to the next link/textarea,
whereas the down-arrow key only takes you to the next line within
the textarea.

I find this pretty useful, and a lot faster (for me) than choosing a
number and entering it, to get me where I want to go.  Especially since
the tab-key is oversized, and placed quite conveniently for my left-
hand ring-finger to use.  OTOH the cursor keys require me to physically
move my right hand over a bit.

At some point, I am going to see if I can get lynx to recognize a shifted
tab (which generates a seperate keycode on my system).  If I can, then
I'll add similar behavior, but in the reverse direction.

| we are sometimes short of keys to bind to new features, after all.

It's rebindable if you don't like/use the default action, and are short
on keys ...

/kim