Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx work...

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx work...
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 01:00:40 +0100 (BST)

[ Can't find thread start...]

> > Amazingly, I don't know html -- but I assume (??) that there is
> > some kind of "conditional text" facility in html?  That those
>
> Sorry - you made the wrong assumption.  HTML has no programming
> constructs such as conditionals, looping, or even variables...

In theory it sort of has conditionals, as it is based on SGML, however
your average browser doesn't treat HTML as SGML and wouldn't understand
conditional sections.

> yes, HTML does have comments.  However, I am uncertain what you

It doesn't really have comments and the structure that is used to
simulate comments is mis-parsed in various ways by many browsers.  What
it actually has is empty SGML directives <!>, containing SGML directive
comments --text--, so to comment HTML you turn the whole section into
one empty directive.  Lynx has two different error recovery options for
dealing with such structures when they rely on mis-parsing by other
browsers!  (A common mistake is <!----------> which contains two and a
half comments, the last one being unterminated!)