Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 13:16:47 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Philip Webb said:

> Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:45:18 -0400 (EDT)
>
> that's the sledgehammer, certainly,
> but again, Lynx should KNOW  .uk .ca .fi .ru  are codes for countries,
> which must always be last: it could try inserting eg  .co.uk .
> Lynx needs to be given the list of international country codes:
> i can provide the list, if anyone wants to do the programming.

Forget it.  I looked at IANA's list of country codes with a mischievous
eye.  Sixth entry: "ANGOLA AO".  Hmmm.  Maybe "American Optical"?
Try "http://www.ao.com/";.  Rapidly connected to the home page of
Alpha Omega Computer Systems, Inc. of Corvallis, Oregon.  Do you
propose to filter your list of country codes to eliminate two-letter
second-level domain qualifiers, and maintain the list?

Even among the list you say "Lynx should KNOW", try (as a very easy
guess :-) http://www.ru.edu/.  I also find cu.edu (Colorado/Cuba),
lu.edu (Lincoln/Luxemborg), mu.edu (Marquette/Mauritius),  nu.edu
(National/Niue) ...  Halfway through the alphabet; I'm giving up.

Again, forget it.

-- gil