Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:07:49 -0400 (EDT)

990513 pg wrote:
> 990513 Philip Webb said:
>> precisely: if i enter simply  ao  & i've ask for guessing in  lynx.cfg ,
>> Lynx should try eg  http://www.ao.com/ ,  http://www.ao.org/  ... ;
>> but if i enter  some.site.ao/  (even without the  / )
>> -- let alone  www.its.leeds.ac.uk/  or  www.ngs.fi/js/  -- ,
>> Lynx should be intelligent enough to know  .uk .fi .ao  are countries.
> Should Lynx attempt to complete "www.stanford" to "www.stanford.edu"?

this doesn't have a Yes/No answer:
my answer is `Yes, provided you have  .edu  in the list in  lynx.cfg '.

> Should Lynx attempt to complete "www.ru" to "www.ru.edu"?

my answer is `No, because Lynx should assume a final  .ru  is the country',
but i need to expand my previous remarks:
it wouldn't be unreasonable if Lynx expands with  .edu  here,
since  .ru  is immediately preceded by  www ,
which implies it is a middle-ranking domain:
we could have Lynx check for an immediately preceding  www  first.

> If the answers are different, please explain the rationale
> for treating Rogers University differently from Stanford University,
> based on the overlap of the middle qualifier of the name
> of one of them with a particular country code.

because countries like Russia are a lot more important
than minor US universities or even well-known ones like Stanford.
isn't that obvious?