Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.2 on DEC Alpha osf 4.0f

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.2 on DEC Alpha osf 4.0f
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:49:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Scott Sibert wrote:
> I've got a 3-cpu alphaserver running Tru64 Unix (formerly Digital Unix,
> formerly OSF/1) version 4.0f (the latest).
>
> I have Lynx 2.8.2 downloaded along with the SSL-2.8.2 patches and I do:
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> make install-help
> make install-doc  (or is it docs?)
>
> Lynx runs fine except it will not resolve any name addresses (only number
> addresses).  It is not resolving any addresses.
>
> I tried compiling Lynx 2.8.2 without the SSL patches and it made no
> difference.
>
> I have gcc installed but I have "setenv CC cc" to make it use the native
> cc.  The native cc successfully compiled Perl 5.005_003 as well as Pine
> 4.10.
>
> I saw in PROBLEMS (although it was mentioned as useful for Suns) to try
> -lresolv or -lbind.  So I did "setenv LDFLAGS -lresolv" because -lbind
> didn't make it through .configure.
>
> I recompiled and it made no difference.  It still does not resolv
> addresses but using number-addresses works fine.
>
> I just downloaded and applied the lynx2.8.2rel.1-fix.patch and am
> compiling it right now (cc and -lresolv) to see if this makes any
> difference.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am probably doing wrong?

Call lynx with the -trace flag (or use ^T), and then look at the
Lynx.trace file; send relevant portions.  (Better to do this without
SSL patches applied, although I don't know whether they change any
relevant stuff.)

Did you compile anything successfully with the native cc that does
hostname lookups?  (I don't know whether this applies for Perl or
Pine.  Anyway, I was thinking about something slightly simpler than
Perl...)   If so, compare the cc flags used when you compiled those
with the flags used when compiling Lynx (especially HTTCP.c, as well
as the final linking).  Maybe that gives a clue what's different.

As another experiment (although I don't really know where to go from
there :)), do hostnames entered into /etc/hosts get resolved?

    Klaus