Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.2 on DEC Alpha osf 4.0f

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.2 on DEC Alpha osf 4.0f
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:19:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Scott Sibert wrote:

> Regarding compiling other programs that do lookups, do you have any you
> recommend I can compile to test?

There must be hundreds...  Try wget, or something...
Or make a small test program yourself:

------ snip ------
#include <netdb.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>
const char name[100] = "jane.hollins.edu";
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
   struct hostent *he = gethostbyname(name);
   errno = 0;
   if (he) {
      printf("%s\n", "success!");
   } else {
       printf("%s\n", "failure!");
       if (errno) perror("gethostbyname");
   }
}
------ snip ------
(You can also add a
      herror("herror says:");
after the else, if your system has that function.)

Try to find the right -l... (and maybe -I...) flags to make it compile and
run successfully (I hope the includes are right...).  If you get there,
Try to use the same flags with which lynx was compiled.  (It should fail,
of course. :))

> Also, I've compiled Apache-1.3.6 (native cc) and it runs successfully.

If you can recompile it, look at how cc is invoked there.

> Looking up jane.hollins.edu.
> HTParseInet: parsing `jane.hollins.edu'.
> LYGetHostByName: parsing `jane.hollins.edu'.
> LYGetHostByName: Can't find internet node name `jane.hollins.edu'.
> HTParseInet: Can't find internet node name `jane.hollins.edu'.
> Unable to locate remote host jane.hollins.edu.
> HTTP: Unable to connect to remote host for `http://jane.hollins.edu/'
> (errno = 1).

Well that's not too informative...

If you try 2.8.3dev.1 from <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>, it
*might* give some more diagnostics (something diagnostics were just
added) if you configure lynx with --enable-nsl-fork (but that might
also add additional problems...)

However, if that errno = 1 is from the gethostbyname call - which
isn't certain - that would be interesting; accordign to *my* (linux)
/usr/include/errno.h (actually a different .h included from there),
that is
   #define EPERM            1      /* Operation not permitted */

Does lynx work when you run it as root??

But I am just speculating, someone with the same system should
be better able to help.

   Klaus