lynx-dev When I tell a Webmaster about Lynx ...pointers?

From: Hank Roberts
Subject: lynx-dev When I tell a Webmaster about Lynx ...pointers?
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:23:20 -0700 (PDT)

Non-list subscriber, tho' I read on occasion.

I use Lynx via Netcom's shell account (2.8.1 as of today); not a
developer or programmer.

Often I send mail to webmasters pointing out pages where tab-enter doesn't
work ("on mouseover" in the source....).  I've been asked "what's Lynx?"
and "can you send me a copy?" fairly often recently.

Prize remark thus far:
   I am not a "techie" and do not understand what
   you mean by a "text browser" but if you just
   click the red button on the left side of the screen
   you will see .....

I'm wondering -- is there a pointer I should use, or an evangelist to whom
I can send these youngsters, beter than what I"ve been doing so far?

I have been pointing them to    www.lynx-browser.org, telling them that
they are using some competition-hostile page building tool that refuses to
recognize Lynx ("you are not using a frames-capable browser..."), but that
Lynx is HTML4.0 compliant and should be easy to support.

And that supporting Lynx helps low- and no-vision users of text-to-speech
apps, which for a US company helps them be ADA-compliant.

(No, nobody has asked why they should be compliant with such an obsolete
programming language (grin) but some do ask who writes this ADA spec and
what it's for.)

Any advice welcome, emailed or pointers to sources.  If a lynx-users list
(for us nonprogrammers) or digest comes along, I'll gladly participate
more.