Re: lynx-dev When I tell a Webmaster about Lynx ...pointers?

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev When I tell a Webmaster about Lynx ...pointers?
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 05:14:46 -0400 (EDT)

990802 Hank Roberts wrote:
> Often I send mail to webmasters.  I've been asked "what's Lynx?"
> and "can you send me a copy?" fairly often recently.
> is there a pointer I should use
> or an evangelist to whom I can send these youngsters?

no: Lynx is strictly a DIY operation,
more like the Jehovahs than the Romans (smile).

> I have been pointing them to   www.lynx-browser.org ,

that could be part of your problem: in full, it's  http://lynx.browser.org/ .
the URL you cite doesn't exist.

> telling them they are using some competition-hostile page-building tool
> that refuses to recognize Lynx ("you are not using a frames-capable browser")
> but that Lynx is HTML4.0 compliant and should be easy to support.

excellent! keep on telling them that: it does get thro' sometimes.

> And that supporting Lynx helps low- and no-vision users of text-to-speech
> which for a US company helps them be ADA-compliant.

an increasingly strong argument: you may have seen the news reports
that the US govt will be requiring its suppliers etc to be ADA-compliant
in their WWW sites, as elsewhere.

> Any advice welcome, emailed or pointers to sources.

Heather has given you some good pointers.

> If a lynx-users list (for us nonprogrammers) or digest comes along,
> I'll gladly participate more.  <I'm a> Non-list subscriber,
> tho' I read on occasion.  not a developer or programmer.

several of the regulars are users, not programmers,
so don't feel inhibited about subscribing & contributing.
it's long been agreed that the programmers need some users around
to keep their feet on the ground, while users sometimes graduate
at least to documentation/help-desk level.