Re: lynx-dev lynxcgi and lynxexec problems

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynxcgi and lynxexec problems
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:38:02 -0400 (EDT)

990806 Paul Slootman wrote:
> I couldn't really find any clear docs.
> when I tried to find more info about lynxexec, it's very hard to do.
> (I was very happy to see it exists!)
> it is only really documented in the sample config file...

the description in  userdefs.h  seems adequate, if a bit rough.
there should be a section in Users Guide outlining the facility.

990807 Klaus Weide commented:
> Yes, that's true.  The ultimate 'documentation' of those options
> used to be, de facto, the collective wisdom of lynx-dev list...
> lynxprog: and lynxexec: are mostly used in a menu system in freenet setups,
> and the code originally came from those folks.
> There aren't many of those left active on this list.

this seems to be a piece of Lynx which dates back to the Age of Giants
& which has been neglected since then & never properly documented.

PS> I know how hard it is to write documentation!

that's not the problem:
documentation isn't difficult to write, if you know how.
the problem with Lynx is that developers are programmers,
whose interest stops once they have their code working,
while any attempt by others to improve documentation
tends to be greeted rather like a new translation of the Bible.

KW> If you have time to suggest some specific wording changes or additions,
KW> feel welcome to send them.

by all means!  don't feel inhibited in rewriting the docs in this area
once you feel you've got on top of the questions yourself.

KW> I'm glad you found your way here.
KW> it makes the discussion available to other lynx-dev folks

most of us like to learn from our betters ...