Re: lynx-dev User Agent

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev User Agent
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:35:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | Having said all that, one place that would seem logical to hook this kind
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> | of protocol-level stuff (URL-specific headers) into is the cernrules
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> | mechanism, if you want to do it.  That already provides a framework for
> | doing things based on (limited) URL matching, you wouldn't have to
> | reinvent so much (keeping lists of URLs, option syntax and parsing etc.)

> Hmmm.  I can certainly see some (quite a bit, actually) value in a general
> mechanism to associate specified url's/domains with some prefered settings
> used to view them in the "nicest" form of rendering.
> [ examples snipped ]
>
> UserAgent is just another (possible) form of association that it would be
> nice to be able automate, as are some of the other settings, I suppose.

THe cernrules mechanism is _not_ the right place for a _general_ "mechanism
to associate specified url's/domains with some prefered settings".  At least
as far a I can see.  It is for "protocol-level stuff".

Just wanted to point that out.  Maybe I'm wrong, and someone can coerce it
into doing more, but it just doesn't look the right place.

   Klaus