Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:24:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > So is only the displayed list wrong, or are the actual key actions wrong
>
> Only the displayed list is wrong.  The keypad works as intended, but to
> make it do so, I have to edit lynx.cfg.  For a "normal" 106-key Japanese
> keyboard, using TeraTerm, the six-key pad is given by the following,
> with the actual codes and the actions taken by Lynx on the right:
>
> KEYMAP:0x106:UP_TWO     # Insert    (^[[1~) - Move display up two lines
> KEYMAP:0x10B:DOWN_TWO   # Delete    (^[[4~) - Move display down two lines
> KEYMAP:0x10C:HOME       # Home      (^[[2~) - Go to top of current document
> KEYMAP:0x105:END        # End       (^[[5~) - Go to bottom of current document
> KEYMAP:0x10D:PREV_PAGE  # Page Up   (^[[3~) - Move up to previous page
> KEYMAP:0x107:NEXT_PAGE  # Page Down (^[[6~) - Move down to next page
>
> AFAICT, LYNXKEYMAP is using the keymap in lynx.cfg to define the function.
> This seems to be entirely arbitrary.

It is *your* environment that is unusual.  You either fix it at the
right level, or do it at the wrong level and live with the consequences...
The right place would be terminfo or ~/.lynx-keymaps.

For most of the rest of the world, the Insert key does *not* generate
"^[[1~", but "^[[2~", and so on - your emulation seems just completely
messed up.

IIRC you have had problems with this for a long time - has anything
changed?

> How is one to know how Lynx *should*
> act upon pressing a key?  If Lynx doesn't go to the bottom of the page when
> you press [End], then you've got to modify your lynx.cfg (not everyone is
> in a position to fool with termcap/terminfo descriptions).

If you are using software that doesn't agree with the convention used
by the rest of the world, then you better be prepared to fool with those,
or at least with ~/.lynx-keymaps.

Well, there is the possibility that lynx has started to do the wrong thing
even *if* things are set up correctly in terminfo and/or ~/.lynx-keymaps,
but to verify that you'd first have to set up things correctly (in
agreement with your emulator) in terminfo and/or ~/.lynx-keymaps.

> It seems to me
> that the key and the function should be universal, and the description given
> on the key-map page should reflect this correspondence.  If I press the
> physical Insert key given the default mappings (what are they anyway, some
> antiquated vt100?),

There is a more or less universal mapping, based on vt2xx terminals, and
that's what lynx assumes by default.  It certainly makes more sense than
assuming *your* non-"standard" environment by default.

   Klaus