Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:47:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> Yikes!  Did I misunderstand this statement?
>
> > There is a more or less universal mapping, based on vt2xx terminals, and
> > that's what lynx assumes by default.  It certainly makes more sense than
> > assuming *your* non-"standard" environment by default.
>
> Reading this, one _might_ be tempted to make a leap of semi-logic to
> say that it implies that lynx has 'hard coded' assumptions regarding specific
> escape sequences.

No leaping logic is needed to come to that conclusion, a visit of the
archives around the time of 2.8.3dev.4 should be enough...

> Surely it goes to the terminfo database to pick up the
> specific sequences , based on general 'key sym' names, doesn't it?

It uses both.  The mappings based on terminfo (or termcap, or ~/.lynx-keymap)
should override the builtin defaults.  If they don't, that would be a bug.
So far it hasn't been shown that it has happened.

    Klaus