Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:27:09 +0900 (JST)

> > The labeling seems to have changed, when I don't know.  I have a 2.8.2rel.1
> > running, and it seems to have the key descriptions correct, i.e., name and
> > action correspond, despite my messed up situation.
>
> Slang or ncurses, with or without your KEYMAP: hacks for those keys?
>
> > > There is a more or less universal mapping, based on vt2xx terminals, and
> > > that's what lynx assumes by default.  It certainly makes more sense than
> > > assuming *your* non-"standard" environment by default.
> >
> > Not exactly what I wanted to say.  I'm saying make a _fixed_ description
> > of the key _name_ (not the sequence it generates) to the Lynx action.
>
> I understand you less and less. :)
> Isn't that what we are doing?
> What kind of name, anyway - lynx's name for the key, terminfo's name for
> the key, curses.h's name for the key, ...

Nothing has changed concerning what triggered this discussion from at least
Lynx2.5 and after; and I am totally in error.  Please disregard anything
I've said up to now regarding "labels."

This report and comment is based on: Lynx 2.8.3dev.12, compiled with
gcc 2.7.2.3, using slang-1.3.8, on Solaris2.6.  As in the other report
about the actions, there is no KEYMAP define in lynx.cfg, and I don't
think a ".lynx-keymaps" file exists anywhere on my system.  I would
like to narrow this discussion to the "six-key pad."

Pressing the "K" key gives me the following:
Page Down   NEXT_PAGE     view the next page of the document
Page Up     PREV_PAGE     view the previous page of the document
Home        HOME          go to the beginning of the current document
End         END           go to the end of the current document
Insert key  UP_TWO        go back two lines in the document
Remove key  DOWN_TWO      go forward two lines in the document
  (I'm assuming "Remove key" is the same as the key labeled "Delete".)

The above correspond with the descriptions in "lynx_help/keystrokes/
scrolling_help.html," and therefore I consider them "correct."

        - (or b,       - If you have moved down in a document, this
           or CTRL-B)    will bring you back up one page (Page-Up).

        + (or SPACE,   - If the bottom of the screen informs you
           or CTRL-F)    that there is 'more' to see, you may
                         move to the next page (Page-Down).

        CTRL-A (or Find)    - This Control key, and Function key synonym,
                              brings you back to the first page of the
                              current document (Home).

        CTRL-E (or Select)  - This Control key, and Function key synonym,
                              takes you to the last page of the current
                              document (End).

        CTRL-P (or Insert)  - This Control key, and Function key synonym,
                              moves you back two lines in the current
                              document (Up-Two).

        CTRL-N (or Remove)  - This Control key, and Function key synonym,
                              moves you forward two lines in the current
                              document (Down-Two).

What this says _to me_ is that the code needed to generate:
   Linkname: Current Key Map
screen function of a plain ascii, concise synopsis of lynx_help/keystrokes/
is all that is needed.  If a user presses a certain key, and the action
taken is not what is described in either the presently-called "Current Key
Map" or the lynx_help/keystrokes/ files, then the user knows that his/her
key bindings are "non-standard", and some adjustment is in order.  IMO,
LYNXKEYMAP: is a debugging tool useful only to "power users" who will know
how to correct the divergence (Current Key Map) from the Lynx default
(lynx_help/keystrokes/).  Right now a divergence is a source of confusion
to ignorant users like myself.

__Henry