Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:01:22 -0400 (EDT)

Screen creates a termcap and terminfo matching what its authors believe
is 'official' vt compatible function key sequences.  In fact, it 'throws away'
by default any keys that isn't a part of their idea of a basic vt terminal.

any curses or slang program should be using the symbolic key names rather
than escape sequences to obtain function key identities.  If that were the
case, it seems to me that the potential for confusion would be minimized.
With terminfo in particular, since many implementations prevent arbitrary
function key symbolic name creation, one is 'forced' into using the 'official'
key names.

Tom, can you provide any insights why historically lynx needed to circumvent
this traditional model?  Perhaps something you've seen in old postings or
comments?  Are there specific lynx modules that could be changed so that
we could document somewhere in the lynx documentation a table mapping "lynx uses
the terminfo XXX attribute for the lynx YYY functionality"?

--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>
-><-