Re: lynx-dev SOURCE_CACHE "problem" - proposal of SOURCE_CACHE_FOR_INCOM

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SOURCE_CACHE "problem" - proposal of SOURCE_CACHE_FOR_INCOMPLETE
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 18:41:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Philip Webb wrote:
> > HOW the interruption occurred is irrelevant to user needs.
>
>    Yes, exactly.

There is a big difference between "I pressed 'z'" and "the network
connection broke".  I don't thing that difference is "irrelevant to
user needs".

>    May be it would still be better to provide lynx.cfg option to allow

Go ahead if you feel like it, but...

> selecting either of 4 options above since there is no consenus:
>
> SOURCE_CACHE_FOR_INTERUPTED:

<something>_FOR_INCOMPLETE (or actually, for _DETECTED_ _INCOMPLETE)
would be more truth in advertising.  Make the name reflect what it
does, not the one situation you have in mind.  Don't give the impression
that this affects only intentional interruptions, unless you *know* that
to be the case.

>       values are:
> OK             variant 1
> PREVIOUS_OR_OK variant 1a
> DROP          variant 2
> PREVIOUS_OR_DROP variant 3

Not all 4 need to be offered.  A choice between 1 and 2, or 1a and 2,
could be enough.

Btw, it seems 2 is the only one that offers, as an obscure feature, the
possibility to completely remove one specific file's cache entry:  do
something that initiates a reload-with-reparsing, then (with the right
timing?) press 'z'.

>  As for default, I propose PREVIOUS_OR_OK.
>  What do you think?

The default should be 2 or 3, IMO.  SOurce-cacheing should not by default
introduce more situations where a corrupt copy can stick around without
the user noticing.

    Klaus