lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 18:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

Here's the output from the chronicle of higher education:

    Information about the current document

           Lynx 2.8.3dev.18 (06 Jan 2000) ([1]development version)

File that you are currently viewing

   Linkname: The Chronicle: Opinion & Arts: May 19, 2000
    Charset: iso-8859-1 (assumed)

Note that below, the paragraphs are NOT separated by an "extra" blank line;
if they were, the article would be MUCH MUCH easier to read --
especially when I'm displaying 132-cols wide (I have it 79 here, for
sending to lynx-dev, so everyone can see it without lines wrapping on
narrow screens).

   major museum shows underwritten by I.B.M. and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco,
   surely something has happened to modernist art that modernism itself
   can't quite account for. If postmodernism is widely considered to be
   the order of the day in architecture and the fine arts, it's
   precisely because we can clearly see the imprint of contemporary
   economics on contemporary practices.
   Simply put, my sense is that no one has made as convincing a case for
   postmodern literature as for postmodern art and architecture.
   Perhaps, however, that's because we've been looking in the wrong
   places.
   We've been trying to find the imprint of cybercapitalism in the
   narrative techniques of a handful of contemporary North American
   writers. What if we looked at the 20th century's literature with a
   different gauge? What if we stepped back from the minutiae of
   experimental narratives, and asked where on earth English literature
   is being written these days?
   The answer, I think, would be both obvious and striking: The crucial
   difference between the major English literature of the first half of
   the 20th century and the major English literature of the second half

Then I did "\", and got this:

+e feted in major museum shows underwritten by I.B.M. and R.J. Reynolds Tobacc
+o, surely something has happened to modernist art that modernism itself can't
+ quite account for. If postmodernism is widely considered to be the order of
+the day in architecture and the fine arts, it's precisely because we can clea
+rly see the imprint of contemporary economics on contemporary practices.
+or postmodern literature as for postmodern art and architecture.
+aces.
+rative techniques of a handful of contemporary North American writers. What i
+f we looked at the 20th century's literature with a different gauge? What if
+we stepped back from the minutiae of experimental narratives, and asked where
+ on earth English literature is being written these days?
+l difference between the major English literature of the first half of the 20
+th century and the major English literature of the second half is not that on
+e

The paragraphs are here denoted by <br><br>.

Now, I don't know much html at all, and probably what lynx does
with the two br's is just what it's supposed to do.

Presumably the articles I see that DO have blank lines
between paragraphs use some other code than two br's.

However, and unfortunately, I myself come across quite a few of
these vertically-squished articles, and find myself, if I am
going to print them out, going through BY HAND and inserting
blank lines where I think they belong.

(surely, if I knew html, I could simply use vi or sed or whatever and
change all the double-br's to something else, and THEN run THAT
through lynx.)

But that's a lot of pain when I just want to glance at something.

My question: is or could there be some (run-time!) option to
make lynx INSERT a blank line at paragraph-breaks -- something
I could turn on and off as I pleased, according to what I saw
on the screen?

To fend off the suggestion "send their webmaster notice
that their html is wrong", I come across too many of these
sites to do that.  And if I do ask them, they'll probably
tell me "well, use IE or NS -- they show it just fine!".

I can't change the world -- I just want to filter MY view
of it, when needed!

Thanks!

David

PS: yes, I looked at the options page, and saw nothing
related.