Re: lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 04:15:36 -0700

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 01:19:16PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2000, David Combs wrote:
>
> > (2) Re what the default is -- makes no difference for THIS
>
> What does that mean?  Are you claiming that there is a bug and
> that COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS has no effect?
>
> Works fine for me, with this test:
>
>   <TITLE>test</TITLE> line1<BR>line2<BR><BR>line3
>

> >   1061  .h2 COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS
> >   1062  # If COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS is set FALSE, Lynx will not collapse serial
> > BR tags.
> >   1063  # If set TRUE, two or more concurrent BRs will be collapsed into a
> > single
> >   1064  # line break.  Note that the valid way to insert extra blank lines
> > in HTML
> >   1065  # is via a PRE block with only newlines in the block.
> >   1066  #
> >   1067  #COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE
> >   1068  COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:FALSE
> >

> >  (3) so, it would have to be SOMETHING ELSE, I'd imagine.
>
> Since you are still busy IMAGINING, it looks like you haven't
> even tried it?
>
>    Klaus

So I switched the "#", getting "TRUE":

  1061  .h2 COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS
  1062  # If COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS is set FALSE, Lynx will not collapse serial BR
tags.
  1063  # If set TRUE, two or more concurrent BRs will be collapsed into a
single
  1064  # line break.  Note that the valid way to insert extra blank lines in
HTML
  1065  # is via a PRE block with only newlines in the block.
  1066  #
  1067  COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE
  1068  #COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:FALSE

And then run a 2nd lynx on that http://www.fathom.com/index.html site,
did a p in each one, one to t1 and the other to t2, and
did a diff, and no difference at all.

That comment about collapse doesn't say what the EFFECT
is SUPPOSED to be when you switch from true to false
and back.  Isn't a break a break is breakBreakBreak? --
well, I just ordered, at 45% off (bookpool is having 45% off
sale on ALL O'Reilly books)  its thick 3rd ed book on html.

Also, would be nice if that comment would actually
give me an example of actual code to generate
a blank line.  (The "pre" followed by block of
newlines -- a bit confusing for non-htmlers!).

Anyway, the screen doesn't look like I want it to.

Also, this page: http://chronicle.com/free/v46/i38/38a01801.htm

Go look at it.  Do you like what seem to ME to be
squished-together PARAGRAPHS (regardless of what
the html says!).

Now, whoever has NS or IE, look at it with that.

How does it look NOW?

A lot better, I bet!

So, is there some <br><br> hack that we can try
that will make the page readable on LYNX?

(Oh, I still have the two lynxs running, one
with that compress thing true, the other false,
and THIS page ALSO looks the same on both.)

Oh, the page there that has a whole
bunch of similar articles to click on is:
    http://chronicle.com/free/

Go there and just go down the list, looking several --
they all (well, at least the first few, maybe all)
have the same problem -- all squished together.

Please, go look at it, and then tell us what you saw,
and look at the html too, and lets all talk about
some kludge for lynx that will (optionally) make such
pages easily readible (and I see ones of this ilk maybe once every
two days -- and want to read it too!).

---

(question: does vim have a BUILT-IN way to reformat
paragraphs for this kind of email.  I could do
x,y!fmt, but I get all this junk from my .cshrc file
coming out into the file, a real pain to delete it
by hand.)