Re: lynx-dev How to Lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to Lynx
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 00:14:14 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> > posts get screened to keep out spam. I don't think anyone should be
> > deciding the merits of posts requesting help before they are forwarded
> > to the list. The list administrators seem to be doing an admirable job
>
> 1) Non-subscriber posts that are trapped by spam filters should be
> moderated onto the list, not simply forwarded.  That way they wiill
> appear to have come directly from the author.

I don't believe that we have a "spam filter" except that only list
members can post directly to the list. Non-subscribers posts go to a
list administrator.

> 2) The list policy should be changed so that all headers are preserved,
> so that we can make a guess at the platform, rather than use the rule:

These seem to be forwarded by hand, not by an automated process.

> - if the software fan run on Windows, assume it is Windows ME or XP,
>   otherwise assume Red Hat Linux (even then a lot of Unix users may
>   use Windows email software).

I would rather see the poster tell us explicitly. That way if the
information isn't there, we can ask for it, instead of guessing.

> 3) The list policy should be changed to not request reply to list,
> as it is very easy for the first or subsequent answer to such questions
> to go only to the list.  This wouldn't be perfect - only requiring

Here we disagree strongly. This was discussed at length several years
ago. The plan was to keep discussion on the list, rather than between
individuals behind the scenes. The help files which come with lynx tell
how to read the archive of the list for answers, if you aren't
subscribed.
                           Doug
__
Doug Kaufman