Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?

From: RobertM
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:26:39 +0100 (BST)

Greetings,

It is alleged that Jeff Long once typed:
>It seems to me that -anonymous is pretty messed up in 2.8.4 when compared
> to 2.8.3.  For example, when -anonymous is used in 2.8.4 I can:
>
> 1) Go to a served file: URL which then can get me into DirEd which then
> gets me /etc/passwd
> 2) Use ! to spawn my shell (which isn't a big deal when the shell is a
> script that starts lynx)
> 3) I can save options to a .lynxrc file
> 4) I can save a file to disk (e.g. using the d key)

All of these can be enabled or not for anonymous at compile time.

> and perhaps some other things I missed.  Perhaps this is the way it is
> supposed to work...

I suspect this is due to the options set in the copy of lynx you're
using. The anonymous lynx client at lynx.scramworks.net certainly
won'tlet you do those things, it's running 2.8.4rel.1.
However I did go through the options very very carefully.

--
Robm
873