Re: lynx-dev DJGPP build (problem with configure)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev DJGPP build (problem with configure)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:07:15 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > From: Doug Kaufman <dkaufman@
> [...]
> > LIBS="-L/djgpp/pdcur24/lib -L/djgpp/watt32/lib -lintl -liconv -lwmemu" \
>                                                         ^^^^^^^
> I'm curious about the use of libiconv.  Is it for building the gettext
> that's included in the Lynx distribution?  (I ask since fortunately my
> build of Lynx on Solaris doesn't require it.  I've been having a terrible
> time trying to use gnu libiconv in other programs and hate to think that
> Lynx may some day be dependent on it.)  TIA.

I have never tried to do anything with the gettext included in the
lynx distribution. Libiconv is required by the DJGPP port of GNU
gettext. It converts the character sets from those in which the .po
files are written to that of the display on which they are viewed. So
the gettext code substitutes messages in a different language for the
default English messages and the libiconv code converts that message
to the proper format (e.g., from ISO-8859-1 to either Windows or MSDOS
codepage equivalent).

The libiconv code has worked well for me. What kinds of problems were
you having? Feel free to respond off the list if you think it is
off-topic for lynx-dev.
                           Doug
--
Doug Kaufman