Re: lynx-dev HEADS UP! not just spam, now viruses

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HEADS UP! not just spam, now viruses
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:04:21 -0300 (E. South America Standard Time)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 07:14:15PM -0300, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > And while we're at it, who is the responsible for the FLORA
> > archives ? I don't know how many lynx-dev archives exist, but
> > FLORA could take some measures to protect our e-mail addresses.
> >
> > Not to mention the archives are a mess with all spams archived.
>
> that's done by 1-2 of the people who are on the list-elves
> mailing list. all things considered, it might be better to
> change lynx-dev to a subscribers-only list and not archive
> the other stuff - but that route doesn't seem to be
> considered.

We discussed about the move to Savannah a year ago.

http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month022002/msg00068.html

I think we could at least host the mailing-list there. I'm
willing to be one of the moderators (I'm of the smartmontools
mailing-lists hosted at SourceForge.net and of my cable modem
service user group at FreeLists.org).

Since Bob Izenberg (one of lynx-dev moderators) created (I
didn't know) the project at Savannah at the time (do a search
for Savannah lynx on Google), I think there'd be no problem to
ask him to move all lynx-dev subscribers, and he could also
redirect all e-mails for a time (maybe a year or until 2.8.5 is
released), which would be moderated. After that he could just
send back an e-mail about the move to Savannah.

I also think someone from Savannah may be able to index all
FLORA archives.

I'm not considering SourceForge.net since they now put
commercial junk on all e-mails. And I'm pretty sure Savannah
will stay.

BTW, you wrote at
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month062002/msg00053.html

"and just now, visiting savannah, I don't see any sign of a
mailing list archive."

Sure, there are none for lynx.

All are at http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/

And I don't think subscribers-only is the way to go.

Just think about.

--
address@hidden, dyndns.org}