Re: lynx-dev HEADS UP! not just spam, now viruses

From: David Balazic
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HEADS UP! not just spam, now viruses
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:25:01 +0100

Thomas Dickey  wrote :
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:04:21PM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > We discussed about the move to Savannah a year ago.
> >
> > http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month022002/msg00068.html
> >
> > I think we could at least host the mailing-list there. I'm
> > willing to be one of the moderators (I'm of the smartmontools
> > mailing-lists hosted at SourceForge.net and of my cable modem
> > service user group at FreeLists.org).
> >
> > Since Bob Izenberg (one of lynx-dev moderators) created (I
> > didn't know) the project at Savannah at the time (do a search
> > for Savannah lynx on Google), I think there'd be no problem to
> > ask him to move all lynx-dev subscribers, and he could also
> > redirect all e-mails for a time (maybe a year or until 2.8.5 is
> > released), which would be moderated. After that he could just
> > send back an e-mail about the move to Savannah.
>
> I'd like to get 2.8.5 out in the next few months...
>
> > I also think someone from Savannah may be able to index all
> > FLORA archives.
>
> ( without the spam? ;-)
>
> > I'm not considering SourceForge.net since they now put
> > commercial junk on all e-mails. And I'm pretty sure Savannah
> > will stay.
> >
> > BTW, you wrote at
> > http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month062002/msg00053.html
> >
> > "and just now, visiting savannah, I don't see any sign of a
> > mailing list archive."
> >
> > Sure, there are none for lynx.
> >
> > All are at http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/
> >
> > And I don't think subscribers-only is the way to go.
>
> well, the real issue is spam in the archives

I noticed an interesting solution on another mail list for this
I was not subscribed and sent a message to the list.
I got this as a reply :

--begin quote---
Hello, this is the qconfirm mail-handling program. One or more messages
from you are being held because your address was not recognized.

To release your pending message(s) for delivery, please reply to this
request. Your reply will not be read, so an empty message is fine.

If you do not reply to this request, your message(s) will eventually be
returned to you, and will never be delivered to the envelope recipient.

This confirmation verifies that your message(s) are legitimate and not
junk-mail.

Regards, the qconfirm program, http://smarden.org/qconfirm/
---end quote---

--