Re: Changing source code control systems

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Changing source code control systems
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:42:29 -0500

On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 18:21 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> It worked, after I configured git to use my existing ssh keys that
> Savannah knows about.  (That wasn't trivial to do on Windows, and a
> quick Google search didn't find anything that worked.)

I actually need to use Git for Windows occasionally for my day job.
When I used Git for Windows, I just created a .ssh directory in my
Windows home directory and put the key & key.pub files in it, and it
just worked, same as on POSIX systems.

If you start the Git Bash shell that comes with Git for Windows, you can
even start up an ssh-agent which will allow your key passphrase to be
cached:

    eval `ssh-agent`
    ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa

(or whatever your private key file is).

> I pushed a simple change in ChangeLog, just to be sure I know how to
> do that, please see if I did something wrong.  (I never pushed
> anything to any git repository until now, only pulled read-only
> copies.)  It might be a good idea to add a short section to README.git
> with a simple workflow for developers who are not used to using git,
> to avoid any breakage that incorrect usage might cause.

OK that's a good idea.  I'll check when I get home.  I'm not an expert
myself.  I think basically if you don't ever use the "--force" flag with
"git push" then the amount of damage you can do is limited :-).