Re: Changing source code control systems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changing source code control systems
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:06:25 +0200

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:42:29 -0500
>
> On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 18:21 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > It worked, after I configured git to use my existing ssh keys that
> > Savannah knows about.  (That wasn't trivial to do on Windows, and a
> > quick Google search didn't find anything that worked.)
>
> I actually need to use Git for Windows occasionally for my day job.
> When I used Git for Windows, I just created a .ssh directory in my
> Windows home directory and put the key & key.pub files in it, and it
> just worked, same as on POSIX systems.
>
> If you start the Git Bash shell that comes with Git for Windows, you can
> even start up an ssh-agent which will allow your key passphrase to be
> cached:
>
>     eval `ssh-agent`
>     ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa
>
> (or whatever your private key file is).

I know all that.  The problem was that ssh-add died with some weird
error message (not being able to communicate with agent or something,
which is BS).  So I reconfigured git to use PuTTY with its PAGEANT
agent, which are already set up to use my keys, and that was it.

> > I pushed a simple change in ChangeLog, just to be sure I know how to
> > do that, please see if I did something wrong.  (I never pushed
> > anything to any git repository until now, only pulled read-only
> > copies.)  It might be a good idea to add a short section to README.git
> > with a simple workflow for developers who are not used to using git,
> > to avoid any breakage that incorrect usage might cause.
>
> OK that's a good idea.  I'll check when I get home.  I'm not an expert
> myself.  I think basically if you don't ever use the "--force" flag with
> "git push" then the amount of damage you can do is limited :-).

Well, in my case, even knowing that to commit a change upstream you
need two commands, i.e.

  git commit -a
  git push origin master

was something non-trivial I needed to learn.