[Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:34:58 +0000

Zbynek Winkler <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I think I like more the way mercurial does this - it does not convert
> anything by itself. But it allows you to specify "filters" (in/out)
> that are called to process the files on commit or checkout. I think it
> follows the principle of least surprise (by default *do not play with
> user data*).

I doubt that's the least surprising behaviour.  CVS checks out text
files using the native line-endings, and that seems to me to be the
appropriate behaviour; since that's what CVS does, it's probably what
most people will expect monotone to do.

(I'm also not convinced by your python example: python is well known
for using layout as syntax, so there's no contradiction in saying that
a line break is "just a layout indicator", and that it indicates the
end of a statement.)