Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Larry Hastings
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:20:59 -0800

Speaking as a Windows developer, let me pitch in with a couple thoughts:
  • Casual Windows users may not have software that copes with varying line endings, but all the programmer's editors deal with it no problem.  Still, it'd be nice if monotone helped to mitigate the problem.
  • Personally I'd prefer it if monotone stored text files in some canonical format, and converted to/from local format on sync / commit.  Normalizing eols to just LFs seems fine to me, as would stripping out the payload from $Foo:$ tags (not that monotone handles those yet, I gather).  Two people checking in the "same" file, where they differ only by the local eol convention, should result in generating the same hash.
  • How should it normalize text files with inconsistent eols?  If I'm on Windows, and I check in a file with CR LF LF, what should it do?  I suggest monotone use the following heuristic, regardless of the local platform: when you first see either CR or LF, store an LF.  If the next character is the other eol character, ignore it.
Cheers,

larry