Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:43:10 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:20:18 +0000, Bruce Stephens
<address@hidden> said:

monotone> Yes, I agree.  I haven't done much experimentation, but
monotone> presuming I'm understanding it correctly, subversion does it
monotone> more or less right:
monotone>
<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.props.html#svn.advanced.props.special.eol-style>,
monotone> and a little up that page svn:mime-type.
monotone>
monotone> That is, svn:mime-type says whether the file is text or not,
monotone> and for text, its repository format is LF line endings, and
monotone> (by default) it uses native line-endings on checking out,
monotone> but you can specify something else when it's necessary.
monotone>
monotone> I'm not convinced that specifies things exactly: what
monotone> happens if I commit a file on Windows with native CRLF
monotone> endings, which has svn:eol-style set to LF?

If we follow the way it works with monotone right now, it would mean
that the file get's a ANY_LINE_ENDING->LF conversion on commit, and
when it's checked out later, it would stay that way, sine the external
line ending is LF.

monotone> However, the basic idea seems sound: distinguish binary and
monotone> text, and for text, assume (by default) native line-endings.

Or any line ending.  It doesn't really matter because for text files,
the line ending isn't really interesting in itself, it's just a layout
indicator, saying "break the line here".  (I realised this yesterday,
while discussing this issue)

Cheers,
Richard

-----