Re: [Monotone-devel] tweaking ancestry after cvs_import

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] tweaking ancestry after cvs_import
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 19:15:15 -0700

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 05:42:17PM -0700, Tony Tung wrote:
> Any thoughts on how to indicate a branch collapse in the database?
> As I understand it, the predecessors' hash is part of the computation
> of the revision hash.  That would mean that all successor hashes
> would need to be updated....

Right, there's only one way to indicate "branch collapse" in the
database -- just make the successor a monotone-style merge revision.
But I don't have any ideas on how to actually do this conveniently for
cvs imports.  The information is definitely not in the cvs repo, so we
can't work it out automatically during import.  It's not even clear how
we could provide an interface to say "hey, cvs_import, when you reach
this point stick in a synthetic merge node", because in the cvs
representation that cvs_import starts with, there _is_ no way to say
"this point", since there are no tree versions.  You could do the
whole import "by hand" somehow, or maybe doing a bit with cvssync,
then doing a merge by hand, and then adding cvssync metadata by hand
so that it can continue onwards...

But honestly your best bet is probably to just shrug and say "well, we
got on without that information before, let's just import as
losslessly as we can now, and with our new better tool we'll record
better data in the future."

  /* Tell the world that we're going to be the grim
   * reaper of innocent orphaned children.
   */
-- Linux kernel 2.4.5, main.c