Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:51:02 -0700

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 06:34:33AM -0500, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> Yes, '&' and especially '!' aren't good characters for shells. I think
> I'll use the suggestions of '/' and '-' instead (still in the query
> string instead of the path, so it'll work with file:// and ssh:// sync).

There's one strong argument for sticking with standard URL syntax: the
quoting issues are already solved.  In particular, with the &include=
style there is a standard, obvious way to include branches that have
characters like "&" in them.  It's not a *pretty* way, exactly, but
existing deployment can beat purity.

Also in an ideal world, people wouldn't have reason to keep using
funky include/exclude patterns, so they would just set a string once
(when they first pull) and then never touch it again, and so shell
quoting issues wouldn't matter.  But we're not in the world, so eh.

Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.