Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:08:28 -0400

Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't think making net.venge.monotone mean
>> {net.venge.monotone,net.venge.monotone.*} is a good idea either.
>> When I ask for net.venge.monotone that is what I want, not it and
>> all of its children.
>
> Really?
>
> Well, you will get those branches which have been propagated back as
> well, anyway.

Logically, those are not "branches"; they are now part of mainline. So
it would be more correct to say :

    You will get revisions that used to be on a branch but are now on
    mainline.

> You'd only save sync'ing 'new' development branches.

Which is a good thing. I have examples/display_branches.lua installed,
so I get a count of revisions per branch. I can see deciding to only
pay attention to a subset of branches, or only to mainline, at some point.

The point is not _only_ to save time during sync, but also to avoid
logical clutter.

'ls branches' would be faster, and easier to sort thru, for example.

>> If I want all of its children, I can explicitly ask for those too.
>> In fact, I have never wanted all of its children.
>
> Guess it's a matter of taste. I mostly want to sync a complete project.
>
> Part of my point was, that you cannot easily sync 'a branch and all of
> its children' correctly, because * matches anything. To be on the save
> side, you currently have to say:
>
>   "net.venge.monotone" "net.venge.monotone.*"

That seems natural to me.

> (which would *not* match "net.venge.monotone-foo", which I don't want,
> because that's not a child branch of "net.venge.monotone").

That works for me as well.

--
-- Stephe