Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:38:00 +0100

On Friday 21 March 2008, Derek Scherger wrote:
> Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> > So, I'm proposing to get rid of the asterisk entirely, making
> > "net.venge.monotone" mean: that branch and "net.venge.monotone.*" (but
> > not "net.venge.monotone-foo". I'm assuming that's what you want most of
>
> +1
>
> > the time anyway. If you really want to sync only "net.venge.monotone"
> > and none of it's children, you'd have to explicitly exclude them. So it
>
> The thing is, you are very likely going to get the children anyway, at
> least those that have been merged back so the only thing you'll be able
> to exclude are the branch certs themselves. I wonder if being able to
> "exclude" things like this is really worth he trouble since it often
> won't do what you might expect anyway.

Any time this comes up, I wonder again, what was the argument for including
revs that are ancestors of revs you want to sync, but at then excluding their
branch certs? I always found this counterintuitive.

So to me, making "net.venge.monotone" mean "net.venge.monotone.*", does look
like an ugly hack to match user's expectations here without addressing the
real issue.

Regards,
Thomas

--