Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn:// sync
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:07:47 +0100

Hi,

Thomas Moschny wrote:
Any time this comes up, I wonder again, what was the argument for including revs that are ancestors of revs you want to sync, but at then excluding their branch certs? I always found this counterintuitive.

I think that's just an effect of how netsync works, with its separate merkle tries for certs and revisions.

So to me, making "net.venge.monotone" mean "net.venge.monotone.*", does look like an ugly hack to match user's expectations here without addressing the real issue.

Making "net.venge.monotone" mean "that branch and all of its children" would result in fetching the associated certs as well, because all child branches were included. Thus I even think that would fix the silly issue you pointed out above, no? (For the common case of syncing "net.venge.monotone", that is).

Regards

Markus