Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone Mini Summit: 2009-01-18 - 2009-01-19

From: Matthew Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone Mini Summit: 2009-01-18 - 2009-01-19
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 22:13:07 -0600

Timothy Brownawell wrote:
On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 13:21 +0100, Philipp Gröschler wrote:
Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
Please add your ideas to this list.
* Concurrent access to a single Monotone database

This has been discussed a few times, I'm not sure if a solution has already come up. A few ideas on this topic have been floating around for a while. As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to have one database file to which I sync from my workstation or laptop, and have another process (viewmtn or a self written PHP equivalent) accessing that database at the same time. Maybe for this specific problem there could be other solutions (besides mtn automate) than concurrently accessing the repository on the database/sqlite level.

nvm.tbrownaw.serve_automate may be interesting here, along with the
hacked viewmtn and usher included in nvm.contrib.webhost . It adds a
--bind-automate <addr> option to mtn serve, so it can serve automate
stdio over the network (without any authentication or access checking,
so don't put it on a public address).

* Integrating a 'branch rename' command

Currently I have a shell script available which was posted on the Monotone Wiki some time ago. With future changes to monotone it maybe uncertain how long that script will keep working. Next point is, one does always need to have that script available, since renamings must happen on all affected locations. Therefore, and as I have to use branch renaming quite often, it would be nice if that function could be integrated into the mtn binary.

Policy branches! :)

I have started a wiki page[1] with these ideas. Feel free to edit that page, and please also continue to discuss ideas on the mailing list. I would like to have a solid list of things to work on by January 12th, and then flesh those out for a week until the 17th so that we have a solid agenda for our virtual summit.

[1] http://mtn-wiki.1erlei.de/wiki/MtnSummit/2009

--
Matthew Nicholson
matt-land.com