Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import failure

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import failure
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:22:12 -0500

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 09:01:04AM +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> address@hidden wrote:
> >I'd like to look at this, possibly next January.  If anyone else would,
> >please do also.
>
> Cool!
>
> Which one was that again, git to monotone converter?

DOn't care all that much.

I have an existing CVS repository, still in active use, to convert to
monotone.  Ideally under the constraint that people still working on
branches in CVS will be able to finish their work and check stuff in and
have the updates converted as they trickle in -- so that new stuff can
be started in monotone and old stuff finished in CVS.

> >The more the merrier, at least during design discovery
> >stage.  What languages are all these *2* programs written in?
>
> cvs2svn and its derivates are written in python.

python is easier to debug than C++.

One option is to replace the svn-output stuff with uses of monotone
automate.

with all these cvs2* programs around, it might be useful to
isolate their common core (the cvs part and the 2 part) from the * part.
Incresed modularity.  ANy chance that such factoring would spread to the
others and overall maintenance costs?

I also have a CVS updater (CVSup) that updates slave CVS repositories
from a master repository (CVSup). It's written in Modula 3, another
language that's easy to debug in and the advantage that it's statically
typed.  CVSup will interface with remote CVSs over the net, but lacks
the analysis that cvs2svn does to figure out the structure.

> >IN case I have to tear one apart, are any written in secure, statically
> >typed languages (whose programs I find easiest to read and debug).
>
> The existing cvs_import and git_export commands are certainly written in
> C++. Something like git_import would be very welcome, IMO.

Ideally mtn sync would detect the system used at the other end and use
the appropriate conversion tool automatically.  But this is probably
just pie in the sky for now.  Especially syncing with systems that don't
maintain information monotone uses.

-- hendrik